Thursday, April 18, 2013

What I hear when I ask...and actually listen

This week, in our God-sized dreams post, Holley Gerth encouraged us  "For this week: “Sometimes we feel alone not because we need to be with others but because God wants to be with us. Our lives are busy–especially when we’re pursuing a dream–and God may want to pull us aside for a bit” {You’re Made for a God-sized Dream, Chapter Six}. The most important part of any God-sized dream is the Giver of it. Set aside a particular time this week to be with Him–to pray, journal, take a walk or simply sit quietly and listen. Write a post sharing what your heart hears or receives then link it up below." 


So, I have prayed and spent time with Him in His word, learning what He has to say about so many subjects that are major players in my day to day life. And this is what I have heard. We have whined more than worked, dreamed more than prayed, and cursed more than blessed. We have not done our work, set before us by the Lord, so how can we reap the harvest? Yes, we are decent people, with good hearts and we try to do the right things. But we haven't been doing the right thing, not even most of the time.

Proverbs 28:19
He who works his land will have abundant food, but the one who chases fantasies will have his fill of poverty.

I am not saying that this verse says we shouldn't dream God-sized dreams. I am not saying that our dream is a fantasy. But I am saying that, in our situation, God has showed me that we have not been working our land (doing what we should with what we have) but chasing fantasies (day dreaming about what we want to do, when there is plenty of work to do in front of us). Saying things like "When God makes our dream possible, we will do this and we will help those. But all along, there have been people and situations in front of us where we could have done God's work, but we didn't. We weren't paying attention or we acted out of human emotion and not with godly compassion. Have we helped or blessed anyone yet? I kind of doubt it, when I look back at some of my actions. And I know I am not perfect and that I never will be. But I haven't made very much effort at making myself more like Him. I've kind of always had the attitude that I was doing better than most, so I was fine. Wow, that is horrible and I am ashamed to admit it. But it is true. And after coming to terms with this, I don't feel condemned or oppressed. I actually feel freer. Because I can change this. I can do better. All I have to do is ask for His help. Through Him, I can walk in more love, more forgiveness, more kindness, more hope, more faith.....the list just goes on and on. I have found my God-sized dream...to do a better job of following Him and the example Christ set while on this earth. And remembering that when I fail, God's grace will allow me to try again and that the ability to do better is just a prayer away.

No comments:

Post a Comment