I am coming a little late to this party...but then, I am a little late to everything. Yep, that's me, late since the day I was born. Literally. 20 days late. I would just like to take a moment and apologize to my mom for that...sorry Mom!!!
Anyway...Holley Gerth at Heart to Heart with Holley has written a book called You're Made for God-Sized Dreams and on her blog, she writes with themes from the book and invites other bloggers to share about the topic she has written about. This week's post was about joy and how it relates to your God-sized dreams. She points out that though joy can make us feel vulnerable, we can choose to be transformed by renewing our minds (Rom 12:2). She asked the question “What is God telling me through what brings me joy?” So, what renews my mind and brings me joy? Not just makes me happy, but brings me JOY? And is God trying to tell me something through those experiences?
I am joyful when:
- I learn something new. I love to discover, especially when God has lead me to the knowledge.
- I am solving problems. Whether I am fixing my own or someone else's dilemma, it always renews me.
- I am being useful. Serving others gives me the most peaceful feeling and helps to make my own problems a little less.
- I am painting, drawing, and taking pictures. Creating beauty is an experience that is all at once exciting and yet calming. It gives a fullness to my heart that I rarely feel at any other time.
- I am doing anything with the horses. This is a fulfillment of a dream that has been a long time coming and I feel blessed to be allowed to care for these magnificent, wonderful creatures. Connecting with them somehow makes it easier to remember that God is a part of his creations.
New International Version (NIV)
2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.